Friday, June 24, 2011

Days 12, 13, 14: Untitled

June 24, 2011

46 days - Blue Band Officer Week
53 days - Blue Band Marching Auditions/Band Camp Begins
71 days - Penn State vs. Indiana State

The title of the post pretty much explains everything about the past three days - they weren't very vivid, memorable, or special in any way... just pretty average for the most part.  I'm in a bit of a "holding phase" right now, just passing time, getting by, and looking forward to everything that is coming up in the next 70 days or so (and beyond).  Of course my first thought is to keep improving and moving forward though... there is no such thing as a day off.  Every day I've been making progress on the ivy-like to-do list, which is slowly being trimmed down to something that looks and feels manageable.  

I last posted on Tuesday... well, Wednesday ended up being a waste of a day, which I absolutely hate, but, it happens.  It taught me that you can't anticipate anything.  I was resting my shoulder still, so I didn't go to the gym, I just practiced bass most of the day since I hadn't played since the weekend.  I had a 5:00 - 9:30 shift at work, and it absolutely poured from 3:00 on, so I figured I'd get called off and I'd spend the rest of the night charting drill.  Wrong.  I drove 20 miles through a monsoon, did nothing but drive a golf ball collector (ATV + ball collector on front) through the mud at work for four hours because business was at a standstill. It was pretty late after I got settled at home since I had to shower off, get myself organized because my room was a total mess (I hadn't even unpacked from the weekend trip yet), and get to sleep since I was exhausted.

I got a ton done on Thursday - quite possibly the most productive day in June so far.  I woke up early in the morning, a definite plus for me since I'm absolutely not a morning person (unless it's a Penn State Football gameday, that's what I live for). My parents left for a one-night trip to Mt. Airy (they go there all the time), so I had the house to myself, which I normally love, but aside from being able to blast music at late hours, it's just not what it used to be. It's probably because I live by myself out at Penn State; the exhilarating freedom of the "no parents" thing has finally worn itself off.  My two best friends from home were away... so I left the house at 1:30 in the afternoon and went to my community's cafe at our clubhouse.  It was a perfect quiet spot with wifi.  I charted seven sets of drill for the high school marching band show I'm writing which I'm quite happy with.

I researched hundreds of different workout supplements and finally settled on one that I'm going to start late next week when it arrives, rather than late July, because I want to take most of August to let my body recuperate completely before marching season starts, and use July to do my most intense training.  I'll be cycling off of preworkout formulas, since I use them before pregame on gamedays to give me an extra burst of energy on the field.  I want to make sure that my body de-acclimates to the caffeine and all of the other ingredients that boost muscle response, focus, and energy.  I'll be drinking two gallons of water each day, and running about two miles per day, finishing with 50-yard sprints.  For those wondering, I reserve 1 N.O. Explode NT Stick Pack for each pregame, and I don't use them for anything else, I'll use an entirely different supplement for my actual workouts.  Anyway, after that I decided that I would test my shoulder and see what I could withstand.  I surprisingly got in an incredible upper body workout.  I got home late in the evening, had a huge dinner and then practiced bass for the rest of the night - the rest of the night being until 2:30 in the morning. 

I'm affected by the weather so much.  Cloudy/rainy days are so rough on me; I just can't find much energy.  I'm convinced that I'm entirely made out of microscopic solar panels.  Anyway, I woke up late this morning and did some cleaning before I got myself together despite the cloudy/rainy weather and did a body-weight workout at the community park.  I added 60 pounds of extra weight (40 vest, 10 each ankle), and ran about half a mile.  I then did jump squats onto a rock about two feet high, three sets of seven reps.  I then did standing leg kicks with just the ankle weights (very similar to what I do for the strut on the field), adding more back bend to each kick until I can't transfer between legs without losing my balance.  I then went over to the fitness center and did 10 minutes of elliptical work, 15 minutes of stretching, and then some oblique/core work.  I dropped by my friend's place to pick up my Ampeg bass cabinet speaker, since we used to have band practices in his basement.  Thankfully I'll be selling it tomorrow for $600 so I can downsize to a cabinet half the size to take with me when I'm playing shows this fall.  

It's getting late, so I'm cutting myself a bit short... I'm going to need sleep if I'm going to get through dealing with decrepit batting cages for almost seven hours tomorrow.  

I'm going to have a rather interesting post over the weekend.  Film session time.  You'll see.

That's all for now.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment