Monday, August 8, 2011

Days 58 & 59: Reflecting and Anticipating

August 8, 2011

  1 day - Blue Band Officer Week
  8 days - Blue Band Marching Auditions/Band Camp Begins
26 days - Penn State vs. Indiana State
33 days - Penn State vs. Alabama
40 days - Penn State vs. Temple

So, as you can see above, it begins tomorrow.  13 hours from now I'll be turning the key in my car and leaving Northeast Pennsylvania for three months, and I couldn't be happier about that.  I've dealt with enough Russians and New Yorkers for a lifetime this summer.  As I sit in my (nearly) emptied room, void of all decor, I can't help but think about what this summer was.  As I wrote all the way back on June 11, the first post on this mini-project, my intention was to "hold myself accountable to Improve. Every. Day."  Thinking about it now, I think I did a great job of it.  I've accomplished so much this summer.  Accomplishment doesn't always have to be something that lands on a resume, although that's always a plus. 

In less than two months I've charted an entire show for a high school marching band, helped to improve the musical ability of a young alto sax player, pushed myself to physical limits unlike anything I've ever achieved before, spent a great deal of time with my best friend from home who I might not see often at all from now on, became significantly better at mace spinning, made enough money to live fairly comfortably for this school year, became a much better golfer, and, I'd like to think I became a much better person this summer.

I feel relaxed, confident, and I feel like everything is under control - although what lies ahead of me this semester is absolutely daunting.  This summer I've learned to take everything a day at a time.  I  know where my deadlines are, I work on making strides every day, and that way I can simply glide across the finish lines instead of a mad dash to get everything done.  Sounds easier said than done, but that's how I'm going to approach everything this fall.  Of course, things come up on a day's notice, and those "surprise assignments" from professors are certain to make life interesting, as they always do, but if I can be successful with the Blue Band, the cover band I'm joining, keep my GPA where it is, and have a respectable social life, I'll consider it a good semester.

I'm beyond excited for the Blue Band season to start.  Last year was a springboard year for me, and this year I'm ready to raise the bar that I set even higher.  I know what to expect this time around, I know what my weak spots were last year, and I know the "sequence" of how things go... not to mention I've had eight months since the end of last season to think about things to improve upon.  As I said a few posts ago, this year I'm focusing on making this a special experience for everyone in the band, and everyone who will get to see the band this season.  I'm in far better shape right now than I was this time last year, so I'm interested to see how that translates to how I perform this season.  Only time will tell.

So, now this blog shifts gears.  It's not about me improving every day, it's about us improving every day. Starting tomorrow will be daily posts about the Blue Band and how our season is progressing.

Here's to a great year.

That's all for now.
Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment